RPG Maker VX
RPG Maker VX is the latest program from the RPG Maker series. It was developed by Enterbrain and is the latest in the PC RPG Maker series, following its predecessor, RPG Maker XP. RPG Maker VX follows the naming pattern present in previous RPG Maker releases by having a suffix based on the Windows versions the software was designed for (in this case, Windows Vista and Windows XP).
RPG Maker VX Trial
A Japanese trial for RPG Maker VX was released on Enterbrain's Japanese VX website and is available for download. It features limited and reduced features, like the inability to save games and limited database functionality. An English version of the program is also available from Enterbrain, with full functionality and a 30-day time limit. Likely an oversight, the English trial of RPG Maker VX does not include an EULA.
RPG Maker VX RTP
The standard runtime package for RPG Maker VX is available for download on the Enterbrain website. This allows users without RPG Maker VX to play games created by others, or try sample games listed on the VX website. It was developed so that games made in RPG Maker VX that used mostly default resources can be distributed to the public with a small file size.
Many of the features included in previous versions of RPG Makers are making a return.
- An updated version of the faceset system seen in RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 2003 has made a comeback, and is easier to implement through the "Enter Message" command.
- Making a second appearance is the Random Dungeon Generator from RPG Maker 2003. This feature automatically generated a dungeon map, for those who wanted an old school dungeon crawler feel or for users that just needed a quick map on the fly.
- The battle system in RPG Maker VX is the updated front-view battle system as seen in RPG Maker 2000.
- The script editor that was used by many RPG Maker XP users is also making a comeback, this time with an updated language - RGSS2. Users can easily add scripts to the game, edit existing ones and also easily alter the battle vocabulary.
- A new feature to RPG Maker VX is the "Quick Event Creation" function. It's a very powerful tool that allows less experienced users to easily create doors that move users to different maps, inn commands, and treasure chests. Once the event has been created, more advanced users can open the event and edit as they see fit.
The mapping system in RPG Maker VX differs greatly from the one used in RPG Maker XP. Instead of assigning tile sets to each map, there are five global tile sets which can be used indiscriminately. The layer system used in previous releases has also changed, as RPG Maker VX only has two layers; one layer for Tile set A (which contains tiles for floors, walls, etc.) and another for tile sets B to E. It is possible, however, to create a third layer of sorts assigning tile set graphics to events.
For users to import their own tiles, RPG Maker VX provides a blank, 512*512 tile set. The size of this tile set cannot be changed, unlike in RPG Maker XP where users could import any number of tile sets which could be of any size.
Official Enterbrain website (Japanese)
Official RPG Maker VX website